"Terchova" Terchova by GentleSpirit
Terchova Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 15 photos
More than anything else Terchova is known for being the birthplace of Juraj Janosik, the Slovak version of Robin Hood.
Originally Terchova was settled by Vlachs (Wallachians) as early as 1580. Today it is part of Zilina Region and District in northern Slovakia.
If you think of Janosik evading the law...out here it would not be difficult. If he grew up in Terchova all he had to do was ride his horse up close to the village of Stefanova into some of Slovakia's gorgeous wilderness. The law coming to chase Janosik would also have to know the area, this is mountainous area and in the gorge it would be difficult to purse someone who didn't want to be caught.
Of course my reason for visiting the area was a bit different than his, to go out into the mountains and enjoy some great hiking. There is supposed to be great opportunities for winter sports but i came at the wrong time of the year for that. The hiking here is very nice, less crowded and very scenic.
- Pros:beautiful wilderness
- Cons:a bit remote
- In a nutshell:if you love the outdoors this is for you!
At 1,343 meters above sea level, the Malý Rozsutec is part of the Rozsutec Nature Reserve. The higher reaches of the... more travel advice
these are the lower part of the hike,,,,the gorge and canyons. Thin passageways right on the rock are sturdy. You... more travel advice
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Terchova Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Terchova
- 7 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Terchova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Terchova
Photos in TerchovaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos
- Krakow Intro, 32 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 29 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Breton Island Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos