"Trencin Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Trencin by GentleSpirit
Trencin Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 201 photos
The day had started early in Zilina. After going through folk villages and seeing lots of cultural things, we saw Bojnice Castle. Taking advantage of the beautiful sunny day we drove to Trencin, stopping to have lunch there before going up to visit Trencin Castle.
I didn't really get to see very much else in Trencin as we had to get to Bratislava. The castle was lovely, I think they had told me that it was the third largest in the country, and most imposing.
Trencin has been an important place for a very long time. Today it remains the main city in Western Slovakia. It is a regional seat (Považie) and starting in the 19th century became the commercial and industrial hub of the area. It is about 120 km (75 miles) from Bratislava in the Vah river valley, right by the Czech border. It is mentioned in texts as early as the 1111. By 1324 the citizens of Trencin were freed from paying tolls and in 1412 it received status as a free royal town.
Trencin historically has been at a crossroads of all the major conquering forces that have been in the area. The early struggles for slavic statehood, the hungarians, the ottomans. After the Slovak National Uprising, the Nazis headquartered their sicherheitsdienst (SD) and Gestapo here starting in August 1944. Soviet troops entered on April 10, 1945.
- Pros:Trencin Castle
Beckov castle is located off the main highway to Bratislava. It is famous for the legend of Becko, the jester. a fire in... more travel advice
The size of the walls gives you a good indication of the function this castle has held over the years. Clearly from the... more travel advice
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Trencin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trencin Castle"
- "Home of the famous medieval Count Máté Csák"
- "Welcome to TRENCIN (TRENTSCHIN)"
- "Trencin - small old town, huge castle"
- "The Historical Trencin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trencin
- Hotels in Trencin
- Transportation in Trencin
- Nightlife in Trencin
- Restaurants in Trencin
- Warnings and Dangers in Trencin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trencin
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Trencin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trencin
Photos in TrencinSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 78 reviews, 176 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 33 reviews, 62 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 28 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos