"Off the beaten track-Cordoba province" Provincia de Córdoba by GentleSpirit

Provincia de Córdoba Travel Guide: 156 reviews and 439 photos

My journey through Cordoba province

I remember the reaction I got from my travel agent when I told her that I had something planned in Cordoba Province. Cordoba Province is largely off the international tourist map. Argentines come to this part of the country in droves, foreigners are fewer and farther between. Don't let that deter you, there are some great experiences to be had.

My path started with a flight from Aeroparque to Cordoba city, the capital of the province. Aerolineas was on strike but i was flying on a different airline so thankfully I wouldn't be crossing picket lines. The flight was relatively short and when we started coming circling the airport you sort of got the feeling that the pilot must have been thinking he was the Red Baron, cause he was taking some pretty good angles. Pajas Blancas is a nice new(ish) airport, from there I went directly to Villa Carlos Paz, a place that has become a weekend resort. You probably won't find many foreigners there, its pretty much just locals from Cordoba and Buenos Aires taking little vacations. That afternoon I took a bus tour through the Sierras of Cordoba, a pleasant enough experience. Then came the highlight, the reason i was there to start with. I had come to see the newest National Park in Argentina, the Quebrada del Condorito. Since I had seen the condor on my previous trip to Argentina I couldn't wait to see them again, and this park offered the opportunity to see the condor in good numbers.

After that it was back to Cordoba City before leaving for Salta on the bus. Instead of going by the nice and easy plan, I decided I really wanted to see one of the Jesuit Estancias on the way to Cordoba. No Problem! So I spent a few hours at the beautiful estancia at Alta Gracia. From there I got to Cordoba. That night I had to catch a bus to Salta, so with an afternoon to shoot I took the tour of the old city and had a wonderful time. It was quite cool, a large group of ladies went on the same tour, we had seen each other at the estancia earlier. Nice chance to meet the locals!

Should you go to Cordoba Province? Yes. you will probably not find the same level of tourist infrastructure as you might in more popular destinations, but the sights are great and it was well worth it to me. Would I do it again...oh yes!

Do visit my pages about some of the places I saw in the province for more information;

Cordoba
Villa Carlos Paz
Alta Gracia
Los Cocos

• Pros:condors, colonial history,
  • Cons:muy caliente, sometimes limited facilities
  • In a nutshell:far from the crowds,
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2012

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I would love to hike in Parque Nacional Quebrada del Condorito, and to see the condor!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
      Mar 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM

i can check with my old guide, the best view of the condors would be on the same side of the canyon that they are on, the hike goes on the opposite side. that would involve camping there overnight, but if you can get better photos it would cetainly be worth it

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Mar 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

One day I will go to Argentina (it is high on my wish list) but right now I can only travel when we have summer and then I don't want to go too far south as I think we have enough of short days the rest of the year here in the north.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2012 at 2:55 AM

You are quite the adventurer Val, to travel to places that most tourists do not venture to. Good for you!

GentleSpirit

“Getting there will have no meaning if you can't enjoy the ride”

Badges & Stats in Provincia de Córdoba

Have you been to Provincia de Córdoba?