"Olomouc- the hidden jewel of the Czech Republic" Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc by GentleSpirit
Olomouc Travel Guide: 339 reviews and 1,165 photos
Olomouc is often mentioned as having the second highest concentration of historically important items in the Czech Republic. Still, this is a city that has no postcard racks, no tshirt shops, no buses loaded with day trippers. There are tourists, but not that many. There were no lines at all at any of the city's sights and you had this delightful feeling of having the place to yourself.
This only adds to Olomouc's charm. It is a relaxed, beautiful city with a lot to offer. The people that say that it is like a miniature Prague without all the tourists are not far off the mark. Its like you are invited to come and see a real city going about its daily life with no great fussing or complications.
Olomouc is located in Moravia, in the eastern part of Czech Republic. Historically, this area was considered part of Czech Silesia with a large population of German-speaking Czechs. Olomouc itself has a population of about 102,000 and is the seat of the Olomouc Region.
Most people use Olomouc as a stopover on the road to Krakow or Prague, just staying overnight before moving on. Sure, you could rush through and see many of the city's sights in a few hours in you wanted to. Olomouc is compact and easily walked.
My first visit was limited to two days and nights which was certainly enough to see the city's sights quite thoroughly. However, there are a lot of things to see nearby and I just didn't have enough time to see Bouzov Castle, Mucha's Slavic epic.
Recommended length of first visit would ideally be at least 3 days to be able to see the city and some of the best daytrips in the nearby region.
I know that not everyone likes museums. Olomouc houses the Archdiocese Museum which shows works belonging to the Archdiocese of Olomouc spanning almost 1,000 years. It is an excellent museum with a diverse and beautiful collection. Easily one of the best museums in the entire country!
While you are in Olomouc you should also make sure to have a good look at the astrological clock in the town center. What's different is that the figures represented are from the Communist period, chemists, workers, athletes. Quite a fascinating thing really.
- Pros:no tourist hordes, clean, vibrant city. The Archdiocese museum!
- Cons:hotel prices are a bit pricey
- In a nutshell:A gem of a city, great sights, nice people and a great energy
One of the first things you will see when coming into the Archdiocese Museum in Olomouc is the amazingly over-the-top... more travel advice
You will often see the eagle with checkers on it, that is the traditional symbol of Moravia, one of the regions that has... more travel advice
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Olomouc Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "UNDISCOVERED GEM OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC"
- "more than a smelly cheese !!!"
- "Olomouc- the hidden jewel of the Czech Republic"
- "Few days in Olomouc"
- "hund's Olomouc page for uncommon tourists"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olomouc
- Hotels in Olomouc
- Transportation in Olomouc
- Nightlife in Olomouc
- Restaurants in Olomouc
- Shopping in Olomouc
- Warnings and Dangers in Olomouc
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olomouc
- 30 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Olomouc?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olomouc
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 82 reviews, 196 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 73 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 35 reviews, 65 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 28 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos