"Olomouc- the hidden jewel of the Czech Republic" Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc by GentleSpirit
Olomouc Travel Guide: 253 reviews and 842 photos
Olomouc is often mentioned as having the second highest concentration of historically important items in the Czech Republic. Still, this is a city that has no postcard racks, no tshirt shops, no buses loaded with day trippers. There are tourists, but not that many. There were no lines at all at any of the city's sights and you had this delightful feeling of having the place to yourself.
This only adds to Olomouc's charm. It is a relaxed, beautiful city with a lot to offer. The people that say that it is like a miniature Prague without all the tourists are not far off the mark. Its like you are invited to come and see a real city going about its daily life with no great fussing or complications.
Olomouc is located in Moravia, in the eastern part of Czech Republic. Historically, this area was considered part of Czech Silesia with a large population of German-speaking Czechs. Olomouc itself has a population of about 102,000 and is the seat of the Olomouc Region.
Most people use Olomouc as a stopover on the road to Krakow or Prague, just staying overnight before moving on. Sure, you could rush through and see many of the city's sights in a few hours in you wanted to. Olomouc is compact and easily walked.
My first visit was limited to two days and nights which was certainly enough to see the city's sights quite thoroughly. However, there are a lot of things to see nearby and I just didn't have enough time to see Bouzov Castle, Mucha's Slavic epic.
Recommended length of first visit would ideally be at least 3 days to be able to see the city and some of the best daytrips in the nearby region.
I know that not everyone likes museums. Olomouc houses the Archdiocese Museum which shows works belonging to the Archdiocese of Olomouc spanning almost 1,000 years. It is an excellent museum with a diverse and beautiful collection. Easily one of the best museums in the entire country!
While you are in Olomouc you should also make sure to have a good look at the astrological clock in the town center. What's different is that the figures represented are from the Communist period, chemists, workers, athletes. Quite a fascinating thing really.
- Pros:no tourist hordes, clean, vibrant city. The Archdiocese museum!
- Cons:hotel prices are a bit pricey
- In a nutshell:A gem of a city, great sights, nice people and a great energy
Jan Sarkander (1576-1620) was sainted by Pope John Paul during his visit to the city in 1995. He had studied in Olomouc... more travel advice
This Renaissance palace belonged to the Hauenschild of Furstenfeld family and was built around 1583. Obviously to have... more travel advice
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Olomouc Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "more than a smelly cheese !!!"
- "Olomouc- the hidden jewel of the Czech Republic"
- "Few days in Olomouc"
- "hund's Olomouc page for uncommon tourists"
- "Incognito in Olomouc"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olomouc
- Hotels in Olomouc
- Transportation in Olomouc
- Nightlife in Olomouc
- Restaurants in Olomouc
- Shopping in Olomouc
- Warnings and Dangers in Olomouc
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Olomouc
- 29 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Olomouc?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olomouc
- Posted in Travel Languedoc-Roussillon Forum "A tour through Languedoc-..."
- Wrote a Review Olomouc's Hostel in Olomouc Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Chapel of Jan Sarkander"
- updated a Olomouc Travel Page "Olomouc- the hidden jewel of the Czech Republic"
- Commented on one of piccolina's Olomouc travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos
- Krakow Intro, 32 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 29 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Breton Island Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (35)
Latest Olomouc hotel reviews
- Poets Corner Hostel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 25, 2013
- Hotel Flora
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Pension Na HradE
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- BEST Hotel Garni Olomouc
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2011
- Hotel Gemo
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2012
- Narodni Dum
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2010
- Hotel Arigone
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Hotel Sigma Olomouc
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2011