"Cordoba-The center of Al-Andalus" Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba by GentleSpirit

Córdoba Travel Guide: 896 reviews and 2,069 photos

Most people go to Cordoba as a daytrip or just stop off to see the main attraction, the Mezquita, on their way to/from Seville. I have long had an interest in Moorish Architecture and art, so for me this was quite special. This was no day trip and I must emphasize that Cordoba has a great deal to see and experience, day tripping is really shortchanging it! I visited in the late fall, by then I missed one of the more enchanting things about Cordoba, to see the flowers in full bloom and see the patios and streets decorated. I also missed the heat, which frankly is no big loss to me.

During the Moorish occupation of Spain, Cordoba was one of the largest and most important cities in 10th century Europe. Some say that with about half a million inhabitants at the time, it may have been the largest city in the world. Highly advanced in architecture and learning, it achieved a level of sophistication unknown in the Dark Ages.

History of Cordoba

Cordoba reached the height of its importance under the Moors, however, it has a long history of settlement. It was a major political, economic and cultural center under the Visogoths and Romans before them.

It was the capital of the Roman province of Hispania Ulterior Baetica, founded under Claudius Marcellus. The most obvious relic of Roman rule in the Puente Romano, the bridge over the Guadalquivir, which is still in use some two thousand years later.

Great sights of Cordoba - Mezquita

More than any other sight, the Mezquita de Cordoba is the main tourist attraction of the city. It construction started in the 8th century with the Moorish conquest and the establishment of the Ummayad dynasty. Built on the foundations of previous construction by the Romans and Visogoths, the Mezquita was the largest mosque in the world at the time. Even today, walking around the entire complex one has to be impressed not only by the enormity of this structure, but also its amazingly beautiful design.

Another of the essential sights in Cordoba is the Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos, the great fortress. It was here that Columbus met with Ferdinand and Isabella to offer his services. Inside you will see some priceless Roman mosaics.

• Pros:The Mezquita, rich history and architecture
  • Cons:few good museums
  • In a nutshell:One of the historically most important cities in the world
  • Last visit to Córdoba: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I skipped Cordoba on my big bicycle tour fifty years ago (went to Granada and Malaga instead) and after all this time I still haven’t been there. I enjoyed reading your informative tips, especially the historical background. I had forgotten that the Roman philosopher Seneca lived in Cordoba.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
      Aug 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Don, thank you so much for visiting/rating my cordoba pages. I would be very interested to hear about your impressions of Spain from when you went in a very different time.
      Did you do the bike tour along the Route of the White Villages?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Aug 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM

No, my trip was a circle tour Barcelona-Valencia-Alicante-Granada-Málaga-Cádiz-Sevilla-Lisbon-Madrid-Barcelona. (Took several months.)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Hi, Val! Thanks for your great page about Cordoba! It made this city closer to my understanding.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Such a good, informative page. Love your photos of Cordoba. Now I want to go there.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Good morning Val. I see you are up also. Don't even think the birds are up yet! Seems you enjoyed Cordoba as much as we did. It is a fascinating place esp La Mezquita. Good warning tip about the Gypsy. They can be quite pesty.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Lovely page Val! Love your patio photos and the one of the inside of the Mosque, which looks amazing! Good tip on eating meals, I didn't know that one!

• fachd's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Cordoba nice place to visit. We are going to Spain,Portugal and Morocco next year 2009 according to plan. Thanks for the tips.

• dantes2's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2007 at 8:15 AM

Thanks for the pic of la Mezquita. I have been there, but quite forgot in was in Cordoba.

GentleSpirit

“Getting there will have no meaning if you can't enjoy the ride”

Badges & Stats in Córdoba

Have you been to Córdoba?

Latest Activity in Córdoba