"Cordoba-The center of Al-Andalus" Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba by GentleSpirit
Córdoba Travel Guide: 1,000 reviews and 2,524 photos
Most people go to Cordoba as a daytrip or just stop off to see the main attraction, the Mezquita, on their way to/from Seville. I have long had an interest in Moorish Architecture and art, so for me this was quite special. This was no day trip and I must emphasize that Cordoba has a great deal to see and experience, day tripping is really shortchanging it! I visited in the late fall, by then I missed one of the more enchanting things about Cordoba, to see the flowers in full bloom and see the patios and streets decorated. I also missed the heat, which frankly is no big loss to me.
During the Moorish occupation of Spain, Cordoba was one of the largest and most important cities in 10th century Europe. Some say that with about half a million inhabitants at the time, it may have been the largest city in the world. Highly advanced in architecture and learning, it achieved a level of sophistication unknown in the Dark Ages.
Cordoba reached the height of its importance under the Moors, however, it has a long history of settlement. It was a major political, economic and cultural center under the Visogoths and Romans before them.
It was the capital of the Roman province of Hispania Ulterior Baetica, founded under Claudius Marcellus. The most obvious relic of Roman rule in the Puente Romano, the bridge over the Guadalquivir, which is still in use some two thousand years later.
More than any other sight, the Mezquita de Cordoba is the main tourist attraction of the city. It construction started in the 8th century with the Moorish conquest and the establishment of the Ummayad dynasty. Built on the foundations of previous construction by the Romans and Visogoths, the Mezquita was the largest mosque in the world at the time. Even today, walking around the entire complex one has to be impressed not only by the enormity of this structure, but also its amazingly beautiful design.
Another of the essential sights in Cordoba is the Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos, the great fortress. It was here that Columbus met with Ferdinand and Isabella to offer his services. Inside you will see some priceless Roman mosaics.
- Pros:The Mezquita, rich history and architecture
- Cons:few good museums
- In a nutshell:One of the historically most important cities in the world
The Puerta de Almodovar was one of the 9 gates built by the Moors, the only one that has survived into the modern age.... more travel advice
The Arco de la Bendicion (the Blessing Arch) is the main entrance. It is wider than the other arches and it has the same... more travel advice
- See All Holidays- Dia de Andalucia
- See All Olive Oil
- Hiking in the Sierras
- See All Cordoba by Bus
- See All Museo Julio Romero Torres
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Córdoba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Roman, Moorish and Castilian cultures"
- "Cordoba-The center of Al-Andalus"
- "CORDOBA,in the heart of Andalucia"
- "CORDOBA: CITY OF THREE CULTURES"
- "Magical Córdoba"
- "The Mezquita, Tortilla de Espanola, and Heat!"
- "Cordoba--A RIch Blend of Culture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Córdoba
- Hotels in Córdoba
- Transportation in Córdoba
- Nightlife in Córdoba
- Restaurants in Córdoba
- Shopping in Córdoba
- Warnings and Dangers in Córdoba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Córdoba
- 45 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Córdoba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Córdoba
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 82 reviews, 196 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 73 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 35 reviews, 65 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 28 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos