"Bigfork, MT - aka Home Sweet Home" Bigfork by meltedfrootloops

Bigfork Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 29 photos

Yes, we have computers here.

So I get a lot of questions when I'm at college (In northern California) and from family members/friends who live out of state about how we "survive" in Montana. Examples include:
"Do you have computers?"
"Do you know what internet is?"
"Do you have music other than country?"
"Are you a cowgirl?"

...and so on. There are a lot of misconceptions out there. We're not backwoods hicks. We have computers, cell-phones, and flat-screen tvs. Some of us hate country music. Many of us * points to self * have little to no interest in being a cowgirl or engaging in any activities (i.e. rodeo, etc) that one might expect of a cowgirl. Some of us are vegetarian (aka every meal ever eaten by anyone in MT has not been built around a juicy slab of steak). We have shopping malls, we have chain stores, we have Starbucks. The bottom line: We're pretty much just like everyone else.

There are things about MT, however, that set us apart. The aforementioned shopping malls - well, there's a bigger one about two hours from where I live, but the closest one to me is one floor. No escalators. That confused my family when we first moved here from Torrance, CA.
We have some of the most beautiful national parks, and hiking trails in our own backyard.
Yes, we see a lot of bears. And deer. And other beautiful wildlife.
We don't have winter - we have an annual ice age. I'm not so fond of that one, but then summer comes, and it's beautiful.
There's no smog here, meaning that, on a storm-free night, the stars are AMAZING to look at.
The smells of sweetgrass and manure are very, very familiar to us.

Nightlife? What nightlife?

So we have to work a little harder to find things to do around here. In the summer, it's easy - swimming, hiking, floating down a river - name a fun summertime outdoor activity and you can do it here. The Bigfork Summer Playhouse provides ample entertainment and there are a multitude of local restaurants and places to go out at night. For the under 21 crowd it takes a little more work, because some places kick out the under-21 crowd at a certain time (ex: 10 pm) and many, of course, don't let us in at all. But even we can find plenty of things to do for fun in the summer.
The winter is another story. There are, of course, holiday season events going on all over the place, but it gets old after a while. And the dead season lasts a long time - as I'm writing this, it's the end of March, it's snowing outside, and I'm bored to tears.
However, we find things to do. Last year I started to hang out with a group of my sister's friends who go to the Bigfork Inn on weekends to hang out, eat dessert and sometimes dinner, chat, and swing-dance. These nights are the most fun I've ever had in this town. It's wonderful to get all dressed up and have a fun night with your friends, learning new spins and steps and generally just having a blast. If I ever leave Bigfork for good, these nights are what I'll miss most.

The bottom line...

...Bigfork is a great place to be. There's a lot to do if you're willing to seek it out, the people are friendly and down to earth, and it's a lovely place to just relax, sit under the stars, or take a walk to the closest beach to watch the sunset on the lake.

• Pros:beautiful scenery, fun things to do, outdoor activities galore
  • Cons:cold cold winters
  • In a nutshell:Home *sweet* home indeed
  • Last visit to Bigfork: Mar 2008
  • Intro Written Mar 27, 2008

Comments

meltedfrootloops' Related Pages

meltedfrootloops Lives Here!

meltedfrootloops

“always pack the right shoes :)”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Bigfork

Have you been to Bigfork?

Latest Activity in Bigfork