"Beautiful Suzhou" Suzhou by roamer61
Suzhou Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 1,115 photos
Suzhou is perhaps the most famous of Chinas water towns. So called for the waterways and canals which have been the lifeblood of these cities for centuries.
Suzhou, once called the Venice of the East due to its canals is a popular day-trip from Shanghai. Thats how I visited it. You can also stay overnight here.
The town is famous for its numerous gardens. As a result, it is also called the Garden City. It has much to offer in addition to the gardens. A wonderful silk museum, its canals, an an assortment of historical sites.
Historically, its history can be traced to the 6th Century BCE when it was made the capital by one of the kings during the Spring and Autumn Period. Its modern name was given during the Sui Dynasty in the 6th Century AD.
The canals were built and enlarged during the Tang Dynasty, the Golden age of Chinese History.
In addition to its gardens, Suzhou is famed for its gardens and you can book a boat ride on one of them. Though the... more travel advice
The largest and most famous of Suzhous gardens is the Humble Administrators Garden. The chinese name is Zhuozheng... more travel advice
roamer61's Related Pages
Suzhou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Suzhou - Gardens and Canals"
- "Fabled city of gardens"
- "Suzhou - Shang You Tian Tang Xia You Su Hang!"
- "Suzhou has it all"
- "Garden City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suzhou
- Hotels in Suzhou
- Transportation in Suzhou
- Nightlife in Suzhou
- Restaurants in Suzhou
- Shopping in Suzhou
- Warnings and Dangers in Suzhou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suzhou
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Suzhou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suzhou
Photos in SuzhouSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Florence Intro, 18 reviews, 27 photos
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Mexico Intro, 16 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue