"Shanghai" Shanghai by roamer61
Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,187 reviews and 8,305 photos
Whereas Xian is the ancient history of China and Beijing is the history of the past 600 years, Shanghai is the present and future of China. It is a sprawling megalopolis thats full of graceful skyscrapers, many built only within the past 15 years.
The city is divided into several major districts. Pudong, or the new city is dominated by the Pearl Tower, a tall edifice that today is the symbol of modern Shanghai.
Shanghai's history really begins in the 19th Century when it was a bastion of the British Empire in Asia. Many buildings along the famous Bund were built in the late 19th Century and early decades of the 20th, during the 20s and 30s.
Today, not only is it Chinas largest city, but also one of its main economic and cultural centers. The city draws countless business travelers each year as well as vacationers. There is shopping galore and it has some of the best dining anywhere. Including many international restaurants n the French Concession and elsewhere.
Traffic is crazy as in many other large cities. But taxis and buses are abundant and there are 2 rail stations with trains that go everywhere. In addition, there is a extensive and very clean subway system that can get you almost anywhere you want to go.
So Shanghai has something for everyone. Whether you are there on business or on holiday, the city is a must see for any trip to China.
- Pros:The city that has it all.
- Cons:Loads of traffic and very congested
- In a nutshell:A must see for any first time trip to China.
This is the famous riverside promenade. On one side, across the water is Pudong, the new city dominated by the Pearl... more travel advice
This outstanding restaurant serves classic Thai Cuisine. Their menu is extensive and its entrance is on a side street in... more travel advice
roamer61's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Florence Intro, 18 reviews, 27 photos
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Mexico Intro, 16 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue