"Xian" Xi'an by roamer61
Xi'an Travel Guide: 1,112 reviews and 3,072 photos
Xian is the largest city and captal of the province of Shaanxi in Central China. It was the capital for centuries before the Ming moved their capital to Nanjing and eventually Beijing. But it served as the imperial capital for Millenia.
The city is divided into 2 parts. That within the Ming Dynasty Walls and that outside. The modern city is easy to navigate as the part inside the city walls is on a grid. Though there is traffic here, its far less than Beijing or other large cities. So, its more walker friendly. And most hotels are within walking distance or a short drive to most places of interest.
There are many places of historical interest in and around the city. Most people come for the terracota army. But there is so much more. With a history dating back 2000 years, the area is rich in archeaological sites, tombs and museums.
- Pros:Rich in History and easy to get around
- Cons:Can be cool
- In a nutshell:A must see
Located behind the Drum Tower, one can find the Moslem Quarter. Inhabited by the Hui, Chinese Moslems who trace their... more travel advice
This big pagoda dates to the Tang Dynasty (7th-10th Century) and was built to house important tablets from a monk who... more travel advice
roamer61's Related Pages
Xi'an Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The echo of ancient"
- "Xian "Peaceful western part of China""
- "Shifting cities"
- "Beautiful Xi'an"
- "Xian - our stopover to see the Terracotta Army"
- "Qing Ming @Xi'an"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xi'an
- Hotels in Xi'an
- Transportation in Xi'an
- Nightlife in Xi'an
- Restaurants in Xi'an
- Shopping in Xi'an
- Warnings and Dangers in Xi'an
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xi'an
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Xi'an?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xi'an
Photos in Xi'anSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Florence Intro, 18 reviews, 27 photos
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Mexico Intro, 16 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue