Tucson Things to Do Tips by roamer61
Tucson Things to Do: 361 reviews and 810 photos
Vintage Stagecoach, 1870s-80s
This marvelous museum is opposite the main gate of the Univerity of Arizona. Inside, once can trace the history of Tucson from its earliest times to the early 20th century. Major exhibits focus on the evolution of transportation, Mining in the area and how life was in the 1870s. There is a small admission charge.
Another smaller museum also run by the Historical Society is located in the Downtown Area.
Spent a day up in the Catalinas to birdwatch and escape the heat of day. There are numerous hiking paths you can use and there are picnic areas also. The rugged beauty of the area is breathtaking. You get a great look at the transition from one zone to the next, as desert gradually gives way to pine forest. Much of the area is a State Park and is incorporated into the Coronado National Forest
Located in the center of town, these 5 acre gardens are marvelous. Here you can see various kinds of desert plants including cacti and flowering shrubbery. Birds and Butterflies are in abundance amongst the foliage and there is plenty of shade. A visit here of an hour or 2 is definitely worth the time if your into horticulture, nature or just looking for a pleasant place to visit.
Actually more of a zoo than a museum, the Desert Museum is home to a large collection of desert animals and plants (many in their natural habitat). Here one can see grand stands of mighty Saguaro Cactus and a host of animals including Javelina, Mountain Lion and playful Prarie Dogs. Also there are numerous reptiles and amphibians on display as well as certain invertebrates. Birdwatching is popular here as well for not only are there 2 aviaries, but one can see a host of native birdlife in the wild as well such as Cactus Wren and Gila Woodpecker. The latter making its nest in the trunks of the saguaro. There are 2 restaurants and a nice gift shop on the premises. Plan to spend at least 2 hours (3-4 is best). Bring water and a hot to protect yourself from the powerful desert sun.
Address: 2021 North Kinney Road, Tucson
Directions: 14 Miles from Downtown Tucson
More Reviews (7)
roamer61's Related Pages
Tucson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Tucson Page"
- "Capitol of southern Arizona"
- "~Tucson ~"
- "A Modern City in the Old Pueblo"
- "a great place to visit, a quirky place to live"
- "Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum"
- "Tucson has it all!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tucson
- Hotels in Tucson
- Transportation in Tucson
- Nightlife in Tucson
- Restaurants in Tucson
- Shopping in Tucson
- Warnings and Dangers in Tucson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tucson
- 11 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Tucson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tucson
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Florence Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Mexico Intro, 16 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (70)
- Pima Air and Space Museum- 42 Reviews, 135 Photos
- San Xavier del Bac Mission- 30 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Mt Lemmon- 15 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum- 29 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Old Tucson Studios- 8 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Colossal Cave Mountain Park- 19 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Sabino Canyon- 19 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Downtown- 38 Reviews, 118 Photos
- Biosphere 2- 9 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Saguaro National Park- 22 Reviews, 47 Photos
See All Tucson Things to Do