"Pleasures and Interests" roamer61's Profile
2014 Travel Plans: Going to the Black Hills of South Dakota in late June.
Travel plans beyond 2014 are sketchy at best and international adventures will become more questionable as money becomes more of an issue. But possible options are a return to Asia in 2015 or 16. Both India and Cambodia are being studied. Health issues are a factor as well.
If I don't return to Asia, I will go to Costa Rica, maybe.
As always, will post updates in the coming weeks and months as they become known..
Hello fellow Travellers. One of my passions is Birdwatching. The joy of observing our feathered friends was first sparked over 30 years ago when I first went to visit the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in NYC. Years later, when I went to the Galapagos Islands, it not only was expanded upon, it became my number one hobby. Since then, its become part of my life. Many of my travels have in fact included Birdwatching. I also have a backyard feeder and have been a member of the local chapter of the Audubon Society which conducts walks every sunday from mid August to May. To watch birds in the wild give one a true appreciation of the wild creatures we share the earth with.
Here are the top 9 birding destinations I personally still would like to go to. I have divided them into North and Middle American and Foreign:
1. Pacific Northwest
2. Texas Coast: Whooping Cranes and Neotropical Species
3. Maine and/or Maritime Provinces of Canada: Great Seabird Colonies
4. Costa Rica
1. Amazon Basin-Peru or Ecuador
2. Pantanal of Brazil
3. Danube Delta, Romania & Bulgaria
4. Okavanga Delta, Botswana
5. Northern Queensland, Australia
Of course, there are others besides these, such as the Shetland Islands of Scotland, famed for their famous seabird colonies.
Best Overall Trip: China
Best Euro Trip: Italy
Best Historical Trip: China and Italy (Tied)
Best Cultural Trip: China and Poland (Tied)
Best Archaeological Trip: Italy
Best Wildlife Observation: Galapagos Islands
Best Birdwatching: Belize
Best Scenery: Colorado
My Future Travel Plans depend largely on finances and family situation.
Beyond 2014, it remains to be seen. This new listing is divided by country and city. here, I have listed the top 5 I still wish to do.
St. Petersburg, Russia
World Heritage Sites are a selection of man-made and Natural Sites listed by the internation organization, UNESCO. Its purpose is to ensure if possible, the preservation of this treasures. Here is a list of the destinations I personally have been to that are on the World Heritage List. In time, I will organize all of these and all future locations by geographic location.
Krakow's Historic Center, Poland
Auschwitz/Birkenau Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camps, Poland
Historic center of Warsaw, Poland
Museum Island, Berlin, Germany
Forbidden City, Beijing, China
Temple of Heaven, Beijing, China
New Summer Palace, Beijing China
Humble Administrators Garden, Suzhou, China
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ, USA
Historic Center of Florence, Italy
Historic Center of Siena, Italy
City Center, Cordoba, Spain
Fortified City of Carcassone, France
Pont Du Gard, France
Archeaological Site of Ayuttaha, Thailand
La Grand-Place, Brussels, Belgium
Galápagos Islands, Ecuador
Palace and Park of Fontainebleau, France
Teotihucan, Palanque, Uxmal and Chichen Itza, Mexico
Old city of Salamanca, Spain
Canterbury Cathedral, St Augustine's Abbey, and St Martin's Church, UK
Tower of London, London, UK
Everglades National Park, FL, USA
Independence Hall, USA
Statue of Liberty, USA
Yosemite National Park, CA, USA
Monticello and the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, VA, USA
Carlsbad Caverns National Park, NM, USA
cmthomas (and wife, Ethel)
....And some others. See page on June, 2008 Meeting.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 672 Reviews
- 807 Photos
- 18 Countries
- 65 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
updated their Profile Page "Pleasures and Interests"
- Commented on one of goodfish's Ruinas de Tulum tips
- Posted in Travel Jaipur Forum "Re: To do Jaipur?"
- roamer61 and lynnehamman are now friends.
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pleasures and Interests"
- Wrote a Review Galicia Jewish Museum about Galicia Jewish Museum in Krakow Things to Do
- created a Oswiecim Travelogue "Auschwitz/Birkineau"
- Commented on the Rome Things to Do travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Shanghai
VideosSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Florence Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Mexico Intro, 16 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue