"Fort Washakie, Wyoming" Fort Washakie by basstbn
Fort Washakie Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 15 photos
Fort Washakie was not on our original road trip itinerary, but just another little burg along our route from Lander, Wyoming, to the Tetons. When we discovered that famed Indian guide Sacajawea and her son Baptiste Charbonneau are buried in the cemetery there, we decided it a good time and place to change our plans. Sacajawea was, of course, the Shoshone woman who guided the Lewis and Clark expedition on its discovery of the northwest passage to the Pacific. We found the cemetery to be fascinating and quite colorful, with a beautiful view of a snow-capped mountain range.
Fort Washakie, the only fort named after an Indian, was abandoned in 1909. The small town is located within the Wind River Indian Reservation.
basstbn's Related Pages
Fort Washakie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort Washakie, Wyoming"
- "Southwest Adventure '02 ~ Ft. Washakie, WY"
- "Didn't See the Fort, But Finally Found the Grave"
- "Basaic Fort Washakie Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Washakie
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Fort Washakie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Washakie
Photos in Fort WashakieSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues