"Fredericksburg, Texas" Fredericksburg by basstbn
Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 589 photos
Fredericksburg, Texas, is popular with travelers because of its German flavor in an old west setting, and because of history associated with the town. The entire downtown is included in the area designated as a National Historic District. This is precisely why Nancy and I scheduled three days to stay in Fredericksburg during a spring break roadtrip.
Although the land was in Commanche Indian territory at the time, 1846, immigrant families settled the area under the auspices of the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas. German aristocrat Baron Ottfried Hans von Meusebach pushed through a peaceful settlement with the Commanches a year later.
The town still has a German feel to it - you will occasionally hear the German language spoken on the streets, old customs are still observed, and there are several notable German restaurants.
There are a number of century-plus old limestone homes and business such as that shown here.
- Pros:Lots of interesting attractions, activities, restaurants
- Cons:Can get a little touristy during peak seasons.
- In a nutshell:I recommend several days here -it's well worth it.
basstbn's Related Pages
Fredericksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fredericksburg-A Charming and Historic Town"
- "Beautiful Hill Country"
- "A visit to Fredericksburg, Texas"
- "FREDERICKSBURG, TEXAS"
- "Welcome to China Bayles territory"
- "Fredericksburg, Texas"
- "Welcome to the Capital of the Hill Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredericksburg
- Hotels in Fredericksburg
- Transportation in Fredericksburg
- Nightlife in Fredericksburg
- Restaurants in Fredericksburg
- Shopping in Fredericksburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Fredericksburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg
- 19 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Fredericksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredericksburg
Photos in FredericksburgSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (21)
Latest Fredericksburg hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Express Fredricksburg
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Miller Inn Fredericksburg
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 13, 2013
- Magnolia House Bed and Breakfast
- 355 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hoffman Haus
- 300 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Cottages at Limestone on Main
- 212 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Palo Alto Creek Farm
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013
- Inn on Baron's Creek
- 291 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Best Western Fredericksburg
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Comfort Inn And Suites
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Inn on the Creek
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Fredericksburg Bakery Bed and Breakfast
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Fredericksburg Bed and Brew
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2012
- Das Garten Haus
- 270 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Two Wee Cottages Bed & Breakfast
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 19, 2013
- Quality Inn Fredericksburg
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013