"Crazy Horse Mountain Monument" Top 5 Page for this destination Custer by basstbn
Custer Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 106 photos
The year was 1939. Sioux Indians native to South Dakota and the northern plains watched the completion of Mount Rushmore in their beloved Black Hills. Henry Standing Bear was moved to action, and contacted Korczak Ziolkowski, who had just captured first prize for sculpure at the New York World's Fair.
Inspired by the character of Sioux warrior Crazy Horse and by the tribe's desire for "the white man to know that the red man has great heroes, too," Ziolkowski set out for South Dakota in 1948. He set out to turn an entire mountain into the biggest statue in the world. Although the determined sculptor died in 1982, his work did not end. His widow, most of his ten children, and even the next generation can still be seen at the site. Many predict that the work will not be finished for another fifty years.
Even in its "rough state," Crazy Horse Mountain Monument is a fascinating visit. The picture shown was taken at the visitor's center, with a model in the foreground, and the mountain behind - a mile away.
If you are in the Black Hills, Mountain Rushmore, or Custer State Park area, you should make it a point to spend several hours at Crazy Horse Monument.
- In a nutshell:Excellent place to stay in the Black Hills, Custer State Park area
In another area of the visitor center grounds, these highly skilled Indian musicians were performing songs which I... more travel advice
Local tribesmen provide entertainment in the form of traditional dancing on the observation desk. Future plans include a... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Custer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "pipsqueak's New Custer Page"
- "Crazy Horse Mountain Monument"
- "Volksmarch 2001"
- "Custer has the most wildlife we've ever seen"
- "Custer, South Dakota, home of Mount Rushmore"
- "Went on to 4 mile"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Custer
- Hotels in Custer
- Transportation in Custer
- Restaurants in Custer
- Warnings and Dangers in Custer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Custer
- 6 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Custer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Custer
Photos in CusterSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues