"Woolaroc Museum and Wildlife Preserve" Woolaroc by basstbn
Woolaroc Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
In the wooded hills of northeastern Oklahoma, 12 miles southeast of the oil town of Bartlesville, sits Woolaroc Museum and Wildlife Preserve. I still remember fondly my first visit to Woolaroc with my parents as a 12 year old boy.
Drive through the 3200 acre grounds past the herds of buffalo, elk, deer, longhorn cattle and other wildlife to Woolaroc's feature attraction - the museum. This sandstone building houses an outstanding collection of Indian art and artifacts, western art (including Remingtons and Russells), and several rooms full of Colt firearms. The Woolaroc monoplane, winner of a major 1927 trans-Pacific race is housed here. Also included are tributes to the area's oil field explorations and the Phillips 66 refining company. Woolaroc was originally a country retreat for Frank Phillips, founder of that firm.
There is a gift shop, snack bar, and petting zoo for children directly across the road from the museum, as well as a walking trail to Rock Lake and Phillip's log cabin home.
Statues honoring the hardy women of frontier days are common in the plains states, but I can't think of another in which the subject is toting a gun. This monument stands outside the entrance to the museum.
Photos are not allowed inside the museum, so I am unable to show more than exterior pictures.
A short walk away from the museum is Frank Phillips' cabin, built in the 1926-1927, and restored to its original condition. Alone worth the time to visit, from here you get a pleasant view of Rock Lake
- Pros:Wonderful exhibits of America's west, kids like the animals as well
- Cons:It's a little off the beaten track - though not too far from Tulsa.
- In a nutshell:Makes for a very pleasant outing if you're in the area
basstbn's Related Pages
Woolaroc Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Woolaroc
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Woolaroc?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woolaroc
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues