"Beaver, Oklahoma - in the midst of "No Man's Land"" Beaver by basstbn
Beaver Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 24 photos
My title (in the midst of "No Man's Land") makes Beaver, Oklahoma, sound like a pretty foreboding place. Actually, it's far from that. Although there was a time in our history when nobody wanted this area - not the Indians, not the settlers, nor the US government, it's not really a bad place at all. Remote, granted, and small and without the so-called "conveniences" of larger cities, but still not a bad place to live. Furthermore, Beaver bills itself as "The Cow Chip Capital of the World." You have to appreciate a place that's not too uptight to take on a title like that.
And for a number of my wife's kinfolk, it was a grand place for a family reunion. Why here? Because her great-grandfather homesteaded in Beaver County 100 years ago in 1906.
As for the welcome sign in the photo, there's not usually a bunch of Nancy's relatives, including your's truly, striking silly poses - unless it's part of a group ice-breaker game at a family reunion!
- Pros:Great people, relaxed lifestyle
- Cons:Remote, windy,
It was here that Nancy's mother, Edith, got her first job - as assistant to the county clerk. more travel advice
I have often heard my wife, Nancy, tell about going to the Beaver sand hills to pick sand hill plums with her mother.... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Beaver Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beaver, Oklahoma - in the midst of "No Man's Land""
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beaver
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Beaver?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaver
Photos in BeaverSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues