"Sibley, Missouri" Sibley by basstbn
Sibley Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 27 photos
Fort Osage has been carefully re-created as it was built by Capt. William Clark and his troops in 1808. Clark and Captain Meriwether Lewis had observed this bluff overlooking the Missouri River in 1804. Clark returned to open the first fur-trading fort in the territory of the Louisiana Purchase. The fort and visitors center allow visitors a glimpse into life for incoming Europeans and the local Indian tribes during the early 19th century.
It's a good idea to combine a visit to Sibley and the fort with a tour of nearby Independence, Missouri.
- Pros:The fort is interesting.
- Cons:I don't remember seeing any restaurants here; it's a very small town.
- In a nutshell:The fort makes an interesting side trip from Kansas City or Independence.
Fort Osage National Historic Landmark is a reconstruction (not a restoration*) of the fur-trade fort built high above... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Sibley Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Sibley
- 2 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Sibley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sibley
Photos in SibleySee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues