"Historic Lexington, Missouri" Lexington by basstbn
Lexington Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 36 photos
Lexington, Missouri, lies on the mighty Missoui River less than an hour east of Kansas City. It was the site of an early battle in the American Civil War for supremacy in Missouri.
It is a nice destination for those interested in history or antique shopping.
Witnin a very short drive of downtown Lexington is the battlefield site, itself. (Actually - you can see battle landmarks on Main Street itself, including a cannon ball still imbedded in the county court house.) Located at the battle field site are this visitor's center with exhibits, the battlements themselves, and the lovely 1853 Anderson House, the focal point of the fighting.
I highly recommend that your visit to Lexington coincide with one of the special events at the Battle Site Park or in the town. Mine was scheduled during a living history exhibition of the Occupation by Federal Troops.
See my travelogue (in several sections) of this event.
Being one of Missouri's older towns, and a prosperous business center in the 1840s and 1850s, there are a number of fine ante bellum mansions to be seen. You can arrange a tour through the visitor's bureau, or as a second choice just drive around town and see a lot of homes. Better to take a tour if you can. See my travelogue of old homes, all built in the 1840s and 50s.
- Pros:Interesting old town with history and antique shops
- Cons:Not much to see at battle ground on most days.
- In a nutshell:Nice day trip from Kansas City - best seen during special events.
Twelve such statues have been erected at various spots on the American frontier - all tributes to the pioneer women who... more travel advice
During the Battle of Lexington, September 18-20, 1861, an errant cannon ball struck the corner column on the front of... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Lexington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Historic City-Preserved in Time"
- "Historic Lexington, Missouri"
- "The Battle of the Hemp Bales, Lexington, MO"
- "Basaic Lexington, Missouri Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lexington
- 6 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Lexington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lexington
Photos in LexingtonSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues