"Lamar, Missouri" Lamar by basstbn
Lamar Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 4 photos
In 1882, John Anderson Truman and his wife Martha Ellen purchased a 20- by 28-foot house in Lamar, Missouri for the grand sum of $685. Harry S. Truman, 33rd president of the USA was born in this house on May 8, 1884.
In celebration of the birth, Harry's father planted the Australian pine tree show in the left side of this photo, still vigorous after 120 years.
The home was dedicated as a state historic site in April of 1959 with the former president in attendance.
- Pros:Harry's birthplace
- Cons:Not much else here of interest to traveler
- In a nutshell:Short, but interesting visit if you're a history buff and in the area already.
It makes me feel old to visit historic settings such as this and see household gadgets and applances that my family... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Lamar Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Lamar
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Lamar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lamar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues