"Kansas City, Missouri" Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City by basstbn
Kansas City Travel Guide: 712 reviews and 1,621 photos
Historically speaking, Kansas City, Missouri, was the entry way for America's early pioneers finding their way to the frontier settlements. Today, it is a metropolitan area of nearly 2 million people spilling over into two states and six or more counties. Vistors and newcomers will find the area to have a multitude of opportunities to enjoy sports, leisure, and cultural activities, as well as a style of living more relaxed than eastern and larger cities. First time visitors to KC always leave pleasantly surprised at all that the city has to offer. Because I live in one of the city's Kansas suburbs, and work in the city, I will be able to add to the page from time to time.
Additonal attractions, restaurants, etc. in the area are listed by the individual cities in which they are located. To date, there are pages for Parkville, Kearny, and Lone Jack, Missouri, and for Mission, Fairway, Shawnee, Lenexa, Overland Park, Olathe, and Kansas City on the Kansas side of the state line.
By law, new building construction in Kansas City must include 1% of its costs spent on artwork. Well, you have to give the city fathers credit for trying. Sometimes the results ruffle a few feathers, as was the case with these pylons on the addition made to the Bartle Convention Hall in downtown KC.
For years I have heard the bureau of tourism boast that Kansas City has more fountains than any city in the world but Rome. I haven't heard that recently so maybe some other upstart slipped into second place. It is true, however, that KC does have a huge number of impressive fountains.
Now that spring of 2003 has arrived, and the fountains have been reactivated, I have begun a travelogue on KC fountains, so take a look at what is there so far.
- Pros:Friendly people, great barbecue, wonderful fine arts. You will be surprised how pretty it is.
- Cons:Lacking in public transportation; downtown is deserted (but changes are coming).
- In a nutshell:Come visit us, have a great time, leave your money.
Tuba Christmas is a national happening, conceived in 1974 as a tribute to the late tuba artist/teacher William J. Bell,... more travel advice
You hear it said the hottest and brightest flames die out quickly. That might be a partial explanation for the early... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Kansas City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Live on Either Side"
- "Kansas City, Missouri"
- "A Classic American City"
- "Kansas City- one of a kind"
- "Cow Town on the Crossroads of the Unique"
- "Up to Date in Kansas City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kansas City
- Hotels in Kansas City
- Transportation in Kansas City
- Nightlife in Kansas City
- Restaurants in Kansas City
- Shopping in Kansas City
- Warnings and Dangers in Kansas City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kansas City
- 81 Reviews
- 153 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Kansas City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kansas City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues