"Fulton, Missouri" Fulton by basstbn
Fulton Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 24 photos
I wonder how many travelers, intent on reaching their destinations of Kansas City or St. Louis, realize what a historical treasure can be found just a few miles south of Interstate 70 in Fulton, Missouri.
It was in this tiny town, at the dedication of a rebuilt London church, that Winston Churchill first coined the phrase "Iron Curtain" in a memorable speech. I encourage you to take a couple of hours to visit this quaint town, the Christopher Wren Church, and the Churchill monuments and museum.
The Berlin Wall was for years a symbol of the Iron Curtain dividing east from west. This sculpture "Breakthrough" by Churchill's granddaughter Edwina Sandys, is created from a section of the Berlin Wall, and now resides on the campus of Westminster College, only a few feet from the church where Churchill gave his historic speech.
There are a few towns scattered across the middle of America that have had the good sense to maintain their downtown areas and to avoid added faux modern exteriors to their buildings. The architecture of the 1880s and 1890s was far more appealing than of the 1950s and 60s. Often, these towns designate their center to be the Historic Downtown District.
Fulton's downtown is a pleasant place to take a stroll, and you can count on the locals to greet you in passing.
- In a nutshell:Interesting town with ties to world history
Parking my SUV next to this old building on a side street, I was preparing to walk up the main street when I saw this... more travel advice
Located underneath the Churchill Memorial is a fine little museum containing a surprising amount of Churchill... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Fulton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fulton...small town with a storied past..."
- "Fulton, Missouri"
- "Welcome to Fulton, MO!"
- "The Iron Curtain Descended Here"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fulton
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Fulton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fulton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues