"Arrow Rock, Missouri" Arrow Rock by basstbn
Arrow Rock Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 21 photos
In his Arrow Rock page, friend and fellow VTer "yooperprof" says that this little town "reeks of history." He's got that right. And you can add that it's quaint and charming, as well - certainly worth a day (or a side) trip if you're in the area.
The stony bluff high above the Missouri River was well-known to the native tribes of the area as its rock was ideal for the crafting of arrow heads. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark documented the site in their exploration journals, and the spot became a significant river port as well as a stop on the Santa Fe Trail. Among the town's noted inhabitants was famed frontier artist George Caleb Bingham.
Although the town remains small (less than 100 population), it has been carefully maintained to preserve its early appearance. The National Trust for Historic Preservation listed Arrow Rock as one of its "Dozen Distinctive Destinations for 2006." A State Historic Site Interpretive Center adjacent to the town is an ideal place to begin your visit.
- Pros:Historic, well-preserved, colorful, quaint
- Cons:Don't go on a Monday!
- In a nutshell:A great day trip or side excursion...
Once known as the "old Shelby place," this 1838 cabin stood in the country near Marshall, Missouri. It was later... more travel advice
Two story business buildings sprung up along the main street of this important river port during the 1850s. The whole... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Arrow Rock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arrow Rock, Missouri"
- "Tiny Village with Lotsa History"
- "Go Back in Time"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arrow Rock
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Arrow Rock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arrow Rock
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues