"Troy, Kansas" Troy by basstbn
Troy Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 13 photos
Nestled among the glaciated hills of the far northeastern corner of the state of Kansas is the small community of Troy, one of the oldest towns in the state, and home to several interesting sites.
Best known of these is the Peter Wolf Toth's "Tall Oak" Indian Monument, shown here in the shadows in front of the handsome Doniphan County Courthouse. Toth was on a quest to carve a Native American in each state, and chose Troy for his Kansas location.
The Doniphan County Courthouse was designed by George Washburn, who must surely be considered the "dean" of courthouse designers in Kansas.
I am always dismayed when I find that the elaborate designs of Victorian era buildings have been covered over, usually in the 1960s or so, by gauche "modern" facades. What could be more attractive and welcoming than classic designs like these on Troy's town square?
George Washington did not sleep here, but Abe Lincoln did speak here in 1859 while on his single visit to Kansas. Lincoln is honored by this memorial located on the town square across the street from the courthouse where he is believed to have spoken. Some historians believe the speech was given on the steps of a hotel adjacent to the site of this memorial. Knowing what I know about Lincoln, his personality drew people to him and he probably gave impromptu speeches in several locations.
- Pros:Interesting little town.
- Cons:How can you say anything negative about a town like this? It is what it is.
- In a nutshell:Nice stop on a day trip - best seen in autumn when the leaves have turned, or spring while the irises and hydrangeas bloom.
I'LL DELETE THIS ENTRY IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT! What I said about this place several years ago: Most small... more travel advice
Local members of the Doniphan County Historical Society have been in the process of restoring the house since 1995. The... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Troy Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Bainbridge Island
- David Crockett State Park Hotels
- Kaohsiung Shih
- Yavne Hotels
- Entebbe Animal and Bird Sanctuary Hotels
- Clonmel Hotels
- San Felice Circeo Hotels
- Tugaloo State Park Hotels
- Baile Herculane
- Canoa Quebrada
- Parish of Portland
Badges & Stats in Troy
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Troy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Troy
Photos in TroySee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues