"Gateway to the Flint Hills ranch country" Strong City by basstbn
Strong City Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 38 photos
For many travelers, mainly those who exit Interstate 35 at Emporia en route to Cottonwood Falls or the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve, Strong City serves as the gateway to the Flint Hills. Its main street preserves, whether intentionally or not, the town's heritage as a prairie ranch town. I found it interesting that Strong City has one grocery (the only one in Chase County) and four taverns.
Strong City is a small town with a western ambiance in Kansas' Flint Hills. Cattle ranching supports the region's economy. At this time, any entries for Strong City will be from a day's visit to the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve, located a few miles north of town, and one of the few remaining vestiges of what was once a mighty sea of grasslands.
The tallgrass prairie ecosystems of North America are host to abundant varieties of wildlife as well as plant life. A tour with a park ranger is a great introduction to the vast wonders of these hills. Visited in May, the prairie grasses are less than knee-high, but will grow significantly throughout the summer.
- Pros:A taste of the past -
- In a nutshell:One of the few remaining places to experience the native tallgrass prairie
If time is limited, but you wish to get a closer view of the grasslands, walk the nature trail from the ranch house to... more travel advice
Stepping inside this school house made me feel old. After all, this is a historical exhibit, I remember schools just... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Strong City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "brdwtchr's new Strong City Page"
- "Strong City, Kansas"
- "Gateway to the Flint Hills ranch country"
- "Small town with a big park."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Strong City
- 9 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Strong City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Strong City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues