"A Favorite Kansas Small Town - Sedan" Sedan by basstbn
Sedan Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 18 photos
Sedan, located near the Oklahoma border in south east Kansas, is one of region's small towns that has managed to hold on to, even expand upon its charm, and in the process become popular with travelers. Its 19th century downtown is still pretty much intact, most buildings actually in use, and has undergone a good deal of restoration, for the most part eschewing the fake contemporary facades many towns have plastered over their (formerly) beautiful old buildings. Sedan has some nice places to eat, some interesting shops, and a museum dedicated to native son Emmett Kelly, the world-famous clown.
It should be noted that famed newsman and Kansas native Bill Kurtis has paid a major role in Sedan's continuing vitality, including his purchase and operation of the 8,000 acre Red Buffalo Ranch.
There are more reasons for my fondness for Sedan. My mother and father met there prior to the outbreak of World War II, my dad was a butcher, mom the high school librarian. While a child, I visited there frequently with my family to visit grandmother, an aunt and uncle and cousins, and most memorable of all - to go to the farm of Great Uncle Harry and Aunt Livona. Their meager farm was far out into the country in the Black Jack hills, and they had no electricity, no gas, no running water, and the outhouse was up the hill from the house. What an adventure! When the cousins got tired of playing in the creek or running around on the hillsides, we could sit on the porch listening to our elders' conversations and the colorful stories of neighbors and kinfolk. How I wish there had been a way to document what I heard!
- In a nutshell:Great little town for a weekend getaway!
Showing first run features in a nostalgic old-fashioned mom and pop theatre. Don't knock it; lots of towns this size... more travel advice
This little park is remarkably shady and cool, a nice place to relax and enjoy the grounds and particularly the gardens.... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Sedan Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Sedan
- 8 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Sedan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sedan
Photos in SedanSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues