"Osawatomie, Kansas" Osawatomie by basstbn
Osawatomie Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 27 photos
Osawatomie, Kansas, is a little town with a big history. For those living on America's east coast, or especially those living on continents with many centuries of recorded history, this will not seem very ancient. But for the American midwest, it is an important historical town.
Osawatomie is named after the Osage and Potawatomie Indian tribes which were moved into this area by the government in 1827. A Methodist mission was established at the town site in 1837, but abandoned in 1848. In 1854, free-state settlers from Ohio and New England established the current town. Osawatomie is best known for its role during the years of bloody conflict prior to the outbreak of the American Civil War.
On each of my visits to Osawatomie, I have been surprised at the bustle of activity in its downtown - uncommon for towns of its size in Kansas.
John Brown's son Frederick and four other anti-slavery men killed in the Battle of Osawatomie are memorialized here. This battle was but one of the multitude of violent skirmishes in "Bleeding Kansas" leading up to the War of Rebellion, aka the Civil War.
Built in 1861 of native limestone by the Reverend Samuel Adair. The third oldest Congregational church in Kansas. Adair was the brother-in-law of the infamous abolitionist John Brown.
- Pros:Easy day trip from Kansas City -
- In a nutshell:Important and interesting historical sites
The dream home of oilman William Mills, built in 1902, now on the National Register of Historic Places. I found the use... more travel advice
This old train depot now houses the Chamber of Commerce and a small railroad museum. more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Osawatomie Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Osawatomie
- 14 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Osawatomie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Osawatomie
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues