"Olathe, Kansas" Olathe by basstbn
Olathe Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 53 photos
It's pronounced o-LAY-tha and is derived from a Shawnee Indian word meaning "beautiful." It was founded in 1857 on prairie land covered with wildflowers - especially verbena.
Olathe was an important town in the history of northeast Kansas. Three westward trails converged here - the Santa Fe, Oregon, and California. William Quantrill and his Missouri ruffians raided the small town, and the cowboy boot was designed and manufactured here by the Hyer family. And it was the hometown of film star Buddy Rogers.
In recent years, Olathe has become the fastest growing town in the Kansas City area, with an increase of approximately 4,500 people per year. Only a few years ago the city had one high school, now there are four.
We spend a lot of time in Olathe, shopping and dining (It's quite close to our Overland Park home). Our oldest daughter and her husband live there, as well.
The traffic is maddening.
- Pros:Lots of great shopping and dining.
- Cons:Traffic is awful. Hate it. Get Angry.
- In a nutshell:Love it. Hate it.
The Old Settlers Reunion has been a custom since 1898, but of course the "old settlers" have been dead and buried for... more travel advice
There is very little left of America's native tall grass prairie. This 300 acre park, located just west of Olathe,... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Olathe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SUNNY OLATHE"
- "Fond Memories of Napolean"
- "Olathe, Kansas"
- "Olathe, Kansas - This Page Under Construction"
- "Olathe........my home away from home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olathe
- Hotels in Olathe
- Transportation in Olathe
- Restaurants in Olathe
- Warnings and Dangers in Olathe
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Olathe
- 10 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Olathe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olathe
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues