"Oakley, Kansas" Oakley by basstbn
Oakley Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 19 photos
In the area around Oakley, Kansas, signs advertise that town as the birthplace of the "Legend of Buffalo Bill." That does not mean the Buffalo Bill Cody was born here. It was here that he earned the title of "Buffalo Bill" by winning a bison shooting contest with another famed hunter (at that time), Bill Comstock. The bison shooting contests drew numerous curious on-lookers, most arriving by a special Union Pacific train to witness what we now know to have been a senseless slaughter of magnificent animals upon which the plains Indian tribes were dependent for their subsistence. Body shot 69 bison; Bill Comstock 46. For many decades, Buffalo Bill Cody was glamorized and lifted up as a hero. My view of his stature in American history has deteriorated steadily over the years.
You can see the scale of these sculptures observing that Nancy is standing behind the Cody on horseback statue. This monument is located on the west side of Oakley on US Highway 83, just north of its junction with US 40.
- In a nutshell:Best known as a spot on the interstate for food and fuel, or lodging if a blizzard closes the highways
basstbn's Related Pages
Oakley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oakley, Logan County, Kansas"
- "Oakley, Kansas"
- "A Great Little Town with Pizzaz"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oakley
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Oakley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oakley
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues