"Medicine Lodge, Kansas" Medicine Lodge by basstbn
Medicine Lodge Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 57 photos
Medicine Lodge is nestled away on the eastern edge of the Red Gypsum Hills of south central Kansas, about 90 miles west and south of Wichita.
Militant abolitionist Carry Nation lived here and began her hatchet-wielding saloon raids here. A significant peace treaty with the five southern plains Indian nations was signed on the banks of a nearby river, still commemorated by a triennial pageant. It is home to the Kansas Ranch Rodeo Championship.
Medicine Lodge has a long history associated with cowboys and ranching. As you walk its main street, you can sense the past. On the day shown in the accompanying photo, the street was closed to auto traffic as part of the Medicine Lodge Indian Peace Treaty Pageant.
- Pros:Visit the old west and some historic sites.
- Cons:There's a major shortage of places to eat.
- In a nutshell:A colorful and interesting town for a short visit.
Within a few miles west of Medicine Lodge on US Highway 160, the terrain begins to get more uneven and you see a sign... more travel advice
A collection of old farm machinery is on view in one corner of the stockade grounds. more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Medicine Lodge Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Medicine Lodge
- 13 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Medicine Lodge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medicine Lodge
Photos in Medicine LodgeSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues