"Grassroots Art Capital of Kansas" Lucas by basstbn
Lucas Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 83 photos
Lucas is in a world of its own. Not only is it off the beaten path in the limestone post rock country of north central Kansas, but it is a unique town in which to view a wonderful and bizarre collection of outside art.
Take time away from your fast trip along Interstate Highway 70 to visit The Grassroots Art Center, P.S Dinsmoor's acclaimed Garden of Eden, and Eric Abraham's Flying Pig Studio and Gallery. Plan on a couple of hours - you won't regret it - if unconventional (even off-beat) creativity appeals to you.
Check out my Kansas Journeys blog site for additional views and reviews on Lucas: http://ftkansasjourney.blogspot.com/2010/03/lucas-kansas-no-longer-just-side-trip
What used to be a television reception dish has been painted and placed at the edge of town. It is billed as the world's largest something or other - but it's a fun piece and gives an idea to expect the unexpected in Lucas. Don't take the art, or yourself, too seriously while here. Just have fun!
Oldest and best-known of grassroots arts installations in Lucas. Dinsmoor's Garden of Eden has been drawing curious (and occasionally confused) visitors for decades. See my tips for more information and photos.
- Pros:Stimulating works of unconventional art.
- Cons:Only one place to eat - a diner on the outskirts...
- In a nutshell: GREAT FUN!!
This little meat market has been in business in Lucas since 1922. That does not seem long a long time to those... more travel advice
As a child, Florence Deeble watched S.P. Dinsmoor create his iconic Garden of Eden. She was inspired (as an adult) to... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Lucas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bit of Eden in Central Kansas"
- "Grassroots Art Capital of Kansas"
- "The Road Trip Must See"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lucas
- 8 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Lucas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lucas
Photos in LucasSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues