"Lindsborg, Kansas - more than a touch of Swedish" Lindsborg by basstbn
Lindsborg Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 103 photos
As much as I enjoy visiting small towns in the great plains states, there are few of them which I would describe as charming. Lindsborg is one. One which is well worth of visit of one or more days. It owes its charm to its links, past and present, to Sweden and Swedish culture, its arts scene, its colorful downtown, and its friendly people.
There is probably nothing more symbolic of Lindsborg than the ever-present dala. This dala stands in front of Hemslojd, the dala horse factory in Lindsborg, Kansas. What is a dala? I like Marci Penner's explanation in her excellent Kansas Guidebook for Explorers: "Eighteenth-century Swedish lumberjacks used to carve Dala horses in their off hours at their logging camps. When they returned home, they would pass them out to the village children. During the ninteenth century it became the custom to paint the wooden horses." It was a natural for Swedish immigrants to bring this colorful tradition with them to the rich and fertile plains of central Kansas.
Art galleries, restaurants (several serving Swedish specialties), antique stores, more. Great place for a stroll if you're not into shopping.
- Pros:Arts and Culture, Food, Atmosphere, Friendly People
- Cons:Better not to show up on Mondays; lots of things closed
- In a nutshell:Little Sweden on the prairie - great place to visit!!
This small Kansas town and this gallery are home to Jim and Kathy Richardson. Jim is a noted photographer and... more travel advice
"The Red Barn Studio was the working studio of professional artist and craftsman Lester Raymer (1907-1991). The Red Barn... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Lindsborg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "brdwtchr's new Lindsborg Page"
- "Little Sweden, USA"
- "Lindsborg, Kansas - more than a touch of Swedish"
- "Lindsborg, Kansas"
- "A Swedish town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lindsborg
- Hotels in Lindsborg
- Transportation in Lindsborg
- Restaurants in Lindsborg
- Shopping in Lindsborg
- Warnings and Dangers in Lindsborg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lindsborg
- 12 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Lindsborg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lindsborg
- Posted in Travel Nürnberg Forum "From boat to train station?"
- Wrote a Review Small World Gallery in Lindsborg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Small World Gallery"
- created a Lindsborg Travel Page "Lindsborg, Kansas - more than a touch of Swedish"
- Commented on one of jayhawk2000's Lindsborg travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues