"Lenexa, Kansas - One Time Spinach Capitol" Lenexa by basstbn

Lenexa Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 49 photos

Lenexa, is a suburb of Kansas City, Missouri, but is located across the state line in Kansas. The area was settled by truck farmers, mainly from Belgium and Holland, whose main crop at that time was spinach. At one time, the city was the spinach capitol of the world. To find spinach there now, you'll have to go the salad bar - or to the annual spinach festival. My wife and I live in neighboring Overland Park, only a couple of blocks away from Lenexa, and have several favorite places to eat in that city.

• Pros:Good shopping, lodging, dining, and a few sites to see.
  • Cons:No major tourist attractions.
  • In a nutshell:Another suburb, but one with lots of community spirit.
  • Last visit to Lenexa: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2004

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Hi, Frank! Thanks for your page about that place...><><

• Nov 28, 2007 at 6:32 PM

Great place to eat! Food is fresh and a good value for my buck. I stop here every time I'm in the neighborhood. The service is top-notch as well as the menu.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 10:46 AM

Your restaurant tips are so good they make me hungry - and I just finished lunch. I was just in Crystal City, Texas, and they claim to be the spinach capital of the world, and I think there's another spinach capital in Arkansas.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2003 at 8:33 PM

Polish cuisine in Lenexa? Who'd 'a thunk it? I'll have to try out the Holy Land and the Black Dog when I'm back for Christmas!

• dabuwan's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2003 at 9:03 AM

Tempting culinary tips... Nice page!

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2003 at 7:41 PM

I'll look for the Holy Land Cafe on one of my next trips. The Legler barn has been restored very nicely.

basstbn

“"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift”

Badges & Stats in Lenexa