"Lawrence, Kansas" Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence by basstbn
Lawrence Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 398 photos
Lawrence is one of the more unique cities in the state of Kansas. Lawrence boasts a colorful history, and is a great place to enjoy art, music and theatre.
Located on the Kaw (Kansas) River, Lawrence was one of the earliest settlements in the sate of Kansas. It was founded in 1854 by the New Enland Emigrant Aid Society in an effort to keep the territory free from slavery. Historians will remember that the city was sacked by the vicious raiders of William Quantrill during the bloody period of border skirmishes prior to the beginning of the civil war. Both the Santa Fe and Oregon Trails ran through parts of Lawrence and the surrounding countryside.
Two universities are located within this small city - the University of Kansas and Haskell Indian Nations University, the only inter-tribal college in the country.
Lawrence celebrated its 150th birthday in 2004, and is growing at an unprecedented rate. A number of retirees are finding Lawrence (and other college towns) to be an attractive place to spend their senior years, partly due to the variety of cultural and athletic activities available.
Check out the city's tourist information web site at www.VisitLawrence.com
- Pros:All the advantages of small city living combined with a major college atmosphere
- Cons:Traffic can get a little heavy on main arteries
- In a nutshell:I love Lawrence!! I could easily live there.
The University of Kansas Museum of Natural History is located in Dyche Hall, a beautiful neo-Romanesque building shown... more travel advice
Art TouGeau - one of Lawrence's many colorful events, is sponsored by the Lawrence Arts Center and local businesses, and... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Lawrence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "University Drives the Growth"
- "Lawrence, Kansas"
- "Home of the Phog"
- "Culture And Progression on The Plains"
- "jayhawk's new Lawrence page"
- "brdwtchr's new Lawrence Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lawrence
- Hotels in Lawrence
- Transportation in Lawrence
- Nightlife in Lawrence
- Restaurants in Lawrence
- Shopping in Lawrence
- Warnings and Dangers in Lawrence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lawrence
- 30 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Lawrence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lawrence
Photos in LawrenceSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues