"Hays, America" Top 5 Page for this destination Hays by basstbn

Hays Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 110 photos

Wild West Cattle Town Reformed

What was once a raucous trail head teeming with cowboys, saloons, and dance hall girls is now a progressive community on the high plains of Kansas, home to a fine university, and an agricultural center.

I was fortunate to attend Fort Hays State (then College - now University) for a couple years in the early 1960s, but had not been back to visit campus or the town until a brief stop the summer of 2003. I wish I had more time to look around and to take more photos. Maybe I will get another chance. Especially worthy of a visit is the Sternberg Museum which features a fascinating collection of fossils and skeletons from the dinosaur age.

Hays exhibits a very strong German influence, the area having been settled by Volga-German farmers.

• Pros:Friendly community, has advantages associated with a university
  • Cons:You're a long, long ways from a city. You have to really like small-town life.
  • In a nutshell:I have great memories of my school days there.
  • Last visit to Hays: Jun 2003
  • Intro Written Sep 12, 2003

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM

What's the college like? My visit showed it full of nice architecture, but the downtown was pretty lacking for college bars...

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 3:23 PM

I have this same picture from 7 a.m. Anything on the golf course beyond the barracks?

basstbn

“"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift”

Badges & Stats in Hays