"Hays, America" Top 5 Page for this destination Hays by basstbn
Hays Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 110 photos
What was once a raucous trail head teeming with cowboys, saloons, and dance hall girls is now a progressive community on the high plains of Kansas, home to a fine university, and an agricultural center.
I was fortunate to attend Fort Hays State (then College - now University) for a couple years in the early 1960s, but had not been back to visit campus or the town until a brief stop the summer of 2003. I wish I had more time to look around and to take more photos. Maybe I will get another chance. Especially worthy of a visit is the Sternberg Museum which features a fascinating collection of fossils and skeletons from the dinosaur age.
Hays exhibits a very strong German influence, the area having been settled by Volga-German farmers.
- Pros:Friendly community, has advantages associated with a university
- Cons:You're a long, long ways from a city. You have to really like small-town life.
- In a nutshell:I have great memories of my school days there.
I began my college career at Fort Hays State College, and still have special feelings for that college and community.... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Hays Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort Hays, Boot Hill, and the State University"
- "A LAND OF STRANGE BASKETBALL FANS?"
- "Hays, America"
- "Halfway between Kansas City and Denver"
- "An "All American town.""
- "jan58's Hays Page"
- "Hays, Kansas"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hays
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Hays?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hays
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues