"Greensburg, Kansas" Greensburg by basstbn
Greensburg Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 68 photos
Site of the world's largest hand dug well, Greensburg, Kansas. The well is 109 feet deep, 32 feet wide, and was completed in 1888. The only digging tools were a shovel and a pick. Until 1932 this well provided Greensburg's water supply, and in 1939 became a tourist attraction, complete with the obligatory tacky roadside signs which can be found for miles around.
Looking down into the world's largest hand dug well, Greensburg, Kansas. If you want to pay a few bucks you can go inside the enclosure, even descend the 105 steps to the bottom of the well.
Just a few days ago, on May 4, 2007, a large and powerful tornado completely leveled the town of Greensburg, killing nine of its 1400 or so inhabitants, and leaving all of them homeless. This tornado funnel was almost two miles wide and the swirling winds within it topped 205 mph.
Nancy and I have passed through this town on numerous occasions, stopping occasionally to stretch our legs, or let our daughters see the big well again, or maybe to get gasoline. We know people who work there or have lived there in the past. It's typical of so many Kansas towns, and reminds us both of where we came from. We were shocked and saddened at the news of the disaster.
The accompanying photograph is shown courtesy of the Wichita Eagle, and was taken from the air by Jaime Oppenheimer. See this photo and others at www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/. The twisted green metal is the city water tower which stood next to the hand dug well. Recent new reports have indicated that the well itself has not been damaged, and after a couple of days' search the 1000 pound palasite meteorite housed in the big well's museum and gift shop was located.
- Pros:If you're driving Hwy 54, it makes a good rest stop, and the water in the gift shop is cold.
- Cons:Due to the devasting tornado in May of 2007, little is left standing of Greensburg.
- In a nutshell:Support the people of Greensburg as they rebuild their homes, schools, churches, and businesses!
basstbn's Related Pages
Greensburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Near Perfect Town Destroyed by Tornado"
- "Greensburg, Kiowa County, Kansas"
- "Greensburg, Kansas"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greensburg
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Greensburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greensburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues