"Edgerton, Kansas" Edgerton by basstbn
Edgerton Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 17 photos
Edgerton is only about half an hour away from the Kansas City metropolitan area (southwest on Interstate 35), but it feels like it is light years away from the city.
Some of the old town is boarded up, as it is so easy for the locals to go to Olathe and Overland Park to shop. The stores still in operation appear to appeal more to the tourist - specialty shops.
There is an excellent reason to visit Edgerton - the Lanesfield School Historic Site.
A couple of miles outside of town sits a wonderful historic site - Lanesfield School Historic Site. This restored, not recreated, school sits on its original site and is authentically furnished. Some of the furnishings were actually used at Lanesfield School.
There is more to see at this location, including a restored area of native tallgrass prairie and the site of the pre-Civil War "Battle" of Bull Creek.
For more pictures of the school, see my travelogue.
Lanesfield School is a popular destination for school field trips. Costumed, trained teachers lead students through a full day of classes, just as they were taught in 1904, using slates, reciting lessons, stern discipline - no computers here!
- Pros:It's always great to be in rural America.
- In a nutshell:Interesting and educational visit into earlier days of schooling
basstbn's Related Pages
Edgerton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Edgerton
- 0 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Edgerton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edgerton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues