"Chanute, Kansas" Chanute by basstbn
Chanute Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 30 photos
Chanute is a small town of slightly less than ten thousand inhabitants located in the southeastern corner of Kansas. For years it has best been known as a railroad town, but the city's Martin and Osa Johnson makes this town well worth a visit.
Easily the most important reason to visit Chanute in my mind...
Who were Martin and Osa Johnson? Although virtually unknown today, this handsome young couple from Kansas were household names during the 1920s and 30s whose images could be seen on product endorsements in the most popular magazines of the day. Their adventure and wildlife films had movie-goers queued up all over the world, and their books were top sellers.
Half of the city's classic now serves as a museum dedicated to the Johnsons. It is quite unfortunate this museum is not better known - it is a jewel.
This clever and interesting mobile sculpture occupies a prime spot on Chanute's main street, and is dedicated to Oscar Chanute.
Octave Chanute was never a resident of Chanute, but the railroads he built made the town possible. In addition to being an engineer and builder, he also developed an interest and expertise in the developing science of aviation. His book on the subject of gliders caught the attention of Wilbur and Orville Wright, who contacted him. Chanute served as a mentor to the young aviators, and the shape of their Kitty Hawk flying machine frame was strongly influenced by Chanute's successful glider design.
See my tips for more information
A real, honest-to-goodness, old-time soda fountain: Drop into the Cardinal Drug Store (on the main drag downtown) for an... more travel advice
The Octave Chanute Memorial - a mobile sculpture which moves with the wind. It replicates the Wright brothers' flying... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Chanute Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Vital Town On The Edge Of The Plains"
- "brdwtchr's new Chanute Page"
- "Chanute, Kansas"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chanute
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Chanute?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chanute
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues