"Cedar Vale, Kansas" Cedar Vale by basstbn

Cedar Vale Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos

Family "stomping grounds"

At this point, I don't have much to share about Cedar Vale. My father spent most of his young years in a rural area north of town, and his widowed mother lived in town for a good number of years. As a child, I used to enjoy the times we visited the area, for it was much hillier and scenic than the flat wheatlands where I grew up, and we occasionally spent time fishing, camping, or just playing around some of the creek or river beds.

There's not much left to the town, anymore - it's pretty typical for this part of Kansas - many of the young people have moved on for more opportunities elsewhere. The town did boast one peculiar little attraction that is in some guide books, but it is closed now due teen vandalism. More on that below.

Wee Kirk of the Valley

For some reason unknown to me, the grandfather of this farm's current owner decided to build a tiny little church out in his pasture. People started coming to visit this little church, and over the decades it became one of those quirky little roadside attractions you read about in guidebooks, Virtual Tourist, etc. Unfortunately, some teens having nothing to do for fun decided to do what kids do when they've had too much partyin' and carryin' on. And they trashed the place. Now, I was not able to walk down to this tiny little kirk (Swedish for church), to see what all the excitement was about for all these years. It's there in the pasture, still, and you can see it from the narrow dirt road.

How to get there? Danged if I know. Some guy at the gas station in town gave us directions, but he was either lost himself, or trying to get those two city folk lost out in the hills. We did find it, quite by accident. I don't know if it's safe to ask directions in Cedar Vale or not.

Wildflowers

While stopped in the middle of the road to take photos of the Wee Kirk, I noticed some wildflowers in the culvert that were unfamiliar to me. Later on, I was able to identify them from one of the Kansas wildflower sites. It's called leavenworth eryngo.

• Cons:Careful about asking for directions!!
  • Last visit to Cedar Vale: Sep 2006
  • Intro Written Jan 30, 2007

Comments

basstbn

“"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift”

Badges & Stats in Cedar Vale

Have you been to Cedar Vale?

Latest Activity in Cedar Vale