"Cedar Vale, Kansas" Cedar Vale by basstbn
Cedar Vale Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
At this point, I don't have much to share about Cedar Vale. My father spent most of his young years in a rural area north of town, and his widowed mother lived in town for a good number of years. As a child, I used to enjoy the times we visited the area, for it was much hillier and scenic than the flat wheatlands where I grew up, and we occasionally spent time fishing, camping, or just playing around some of the creek or river beds.
There's not much left to the town, anymore - it's pretty typical for this part of Kansas - many of the young people have moved on for more opportunities elsewhere. The town did boast one peculiar little attraction that is in some guide books, but it is closed now due teen vandalism. More on that below.
For some reason unknown to me, the grandfather of this farm's current owner decided to build a tiny little church out in his pasture. People started coming to visit this little church, and over the decades it became one of those quirky little roadside attractions you read about in guidebooks, Virtual Tourist, etc. Unfortunately, some teens having nothing to do for fun decided to do what kids do when they've had too much partyin' and carryin' on. And they trashed the place. Now, I was not able to walk down to this tiny little kirk (Swedish for church), to see what all the excitement was about for all these years. It's there in the pasture, still, and you can see it from the narrow dirt road.
How to get there? Danged if I know. Some guy at the gas station in town gave us directions, but he was either lost himself, or trying to get those two city folk lost out in the hills. We did find it, quite by accident. I don't know if it's safe to ask directions in Cedar Vale or not.
While stopped in the middle of the road to take photos of the Wee Kirk, I noticed some wildflowers in the culvert that were unfamiliar to me. Later on, I was able to identify them from one of the Kansas wildflower sites. It's called leavenworth eryngo.
- Cons:Careful about asking for directions!!
basstbn's Related Pages
Cedar Vale Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cedar Vale
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Cedar Vale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cedar Vale
Photos in Cedar ValeSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues