"Beaumont, Kansas" Beaumont by basstbn
Beaumont Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 5 photos
From the 1870s through the mid-1950s, Beaumont, Kansas, was a major shipping hub for thousands of cattle being sent to Kansas for fattening on the bluestem grasses of the Flint Hills. Kansas ranchers used to say, "Texans send us the horns and a skeleton, and we put the cattle on them." By 1957, trains gave way to cattle trucks, and Beaumont began to decline.
The only remaining Frisco Water Tower of its kind - built in 1885 by the Frisco Railroad to provide water for its steam locomotives and the surrounding stockyards. Recently renovated by the citizens of the unincorporated village of Beaumont.
A night's stay at the historic Beaumont Hotel, or a steak in its Prairie Fire Room. Ask for a table by the picture windows where you have a view of the Flint Hills. Perhaps you will see a small aircraft or two landing on the hotel's landing strip, and taxi to within easy walking distance of the hotel.
I recently made a brief, but nostalgic, visit to the hotel, reliving a childhood memory of the time my family and my father's brother's family met here for Sunday dinner. I was so impressed to see the planes landing, and the passengers coming in to get their steak dinners!
The hotel was established in 1879 and also served as a stagecoach station.
basstbn's Related Pages
Beaumont Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Beaumont
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Beaumont?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaumont
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues