"Historic Baxter Springs, Kansas" Baxter Springs by basstbn
Baxter Springs Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 31 photos
Tucked away in the far southeastern corner of Kansas amongst the abandoned coal and lead mines is Baxter Springs, a town with a colorful history. It is probably best-known at this time as one of the three Kansas towns located along the 13 mile stretch of Route 66 that cuts across the corner of the state.
At Baxter Springs you can view a number of reminders of that fabled highway that at one time stretched from Chicago to Los Angeles. See my tips for more information.
A few miles outside of town is the only remaining rainbow arch bridge from Route 66. This 1923 structure would be a great place to photograph classic automobiles. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. See my tips for more photos and information.
Baxter Springs is one of a number of towns in eastern Kansas with a significant Civil War history. Two battles were fought in the area in 1863, and travelers may visit a battle site and the cemetery where the Union Army casualties are buried.
After the Civil War, Baxter Springs became a trail head for the cattle drives from Texas, and the town gained a reputation as one of the wildest cow towns in the West. After a few years, the railroad was extended through Indian Territory to Texas, and some semblance of calmness returned.
Before this building was donated to Baxter Springs for its library in 1905, it had served as city hall and a college. It... more travel advice
This marker, located near the Baxter Springs Historical Museum, designates a spot on the hunting trail used twice each... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Baxter Springs Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Baxter Springs
- Restaurants in Baxter Springs
- Shopping in Baxter Springs
- Warnings and Dangers in Baxter Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baxter Springs
- 10 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Baxter Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baxter Springs
Photos in Baxter SpringsSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues