"Big Basin Prairie Preserve & St. Jacob's Well" Ashland by basstbn
Ashland Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 14 photos
At present, this is not a page for Ashland, but for an out-of-the way Kansas prairie landmark for which there is no VT listing: Big Basin Prairie Preserve. St. Jacob's well, another site, is located within the prairie preserve.
This area is mixed-grass prairie - where the tall grass of the eastern plains mingles with, then gives way to the shorter grasses of the dryer,high plains in the west. Vast herds of bison roamed these plains for centuries, now they can be seen again, in smaller, managed herds.
For more information and photos, see my "Off the Beaten Path" tips.
- Pros:Peace, Solitude, Sky, Oceans of Grass
- Cons:OD - "it's out dere..."
Archeological findings indicate that St. Jacob's Well has been attracting visitors since prehistoric times. Even during... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Ashland Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ashland
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Ashland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ashland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues