"John Wayne, Covered Bridges, Middle America" Winterset by basstbn
Winterset Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 72 photos
Madison County and its famed bridges were the setting of Robert James Waller's best-selling novel The Bridges of Madison County, later made into the successful movie of the same name starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep. The movie was filmed on location in Madison County, and film-buffs may seek out sites from the film. Neither Nancy nor I had read the book or seen the film, so only took time to visit the well-known covered bridges.
Famed actor John Wayne, born in a modest wood frame house in 1907 is an honored son of the Winterset, Iowa, community. His birthplace is open for tours, and a new museum is in the planning stages.
Middle American values and lifestyle - friendly, unpretentious people - love of God and nation - mother and apple pie - they are not just romantic clichés here.
Winterset, and Madison County, are a good place to experience that old "hometown" feeling many of us are fortunate to have grown up in - a small-town rural way of life that is still appealing.
If you are zipping by on Interstate 35 and wish to see a covered bridge, but don't have time to tour all six of the... more travel advice
Cedar is the only covered bridge of Madison County allowing automobile traffic. The bridge is a 2004 rebuild of the... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Winterset Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Bridges of Madison County"
- "The romance and lure of Madison County"
- "Winterset - Madison County, Iowa"
- "John Wayne, Covered Bridges, Middle America"
- "Nobbe's new Winterset page"
- "Madison County and John Wayne"
- "Bridges of Madison County...so romantic! :)"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Winterset
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Winterset?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winterset
Photos in WintersetSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues