"Cripple Creek, Colorado" Cripple Creek by basstbn
Cripple Creek Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 23 photos
Cripple Creek can be found in the foothills of central Colorado, in an isolated area west of Colorado Springs and Pike's Peak. It is typical of the many towns that boomed during the gold rush of the 1890s, busted when the precious metal was gone, but has been rejuvenated by the tourist trade.
Check it out at www.cripple-creek.com.
According to my Rand McNally Atlas, Cripple Creek has a population of 584. It has a lot of downtown cafes and restaurants for a town of that size, but that's a testament to its appeal to tourists. I noticed on the area's web site that they now have gambling. One thing hasn't changed though - the eating places are home-owned - no McDonald's or Pizza Hut or Taco Bell. That's refreshing!!
Many of the buildings in town date to the gold rush period, this hotel having been erected in 1896 and is typical of the architecture in Cripple Creek. Speaking of lodging, there are choices of motels, bed & breakfasts, or camp grounds - but no national chains.
- Pros:Interesting shops, cafes.
- Cons:Isolated (but maybe that's not a bad thing)
- In a nutshell:A glimpse into Colorado of another era
basstbn's Related Pages
Cripple Creek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one"
- "Cripple Creek Gold Mining Town"
- "Cripple Creek Bonanza"
- "Cripple Creek, Colorado"
- "Cripple Creek a gambling town"
- "Gold Dust, Early West"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cripple Creek
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Cripple Creek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cripple Creek
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues