"Definitely Off of the Beaten Track" Pipe Spring National Monument by basstbn
Pipe Spring National Monument Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 18 photos
Pipe Springs National Monument was not on our itinerary when we planned a three week western trip. But as we left Zion National Park in Utah, headed toward the northern rim of the Grand Canyon, we saw that we had time to take a side trip to this little visited site. It was well worth the time.
Four springs and grasslands drew settlers the first white settlers to this area in the mid 19th century. A fort was built, which became known as Winsor Castle, named after the builder. The fortifications were never needed for defensive purposes, and it served as a ranch house for many decades.
The fort and outbuildings have been preserved as serve as a living museum of pioneer life in this rugged land.
- Pros:Well preserved buildings and artifacts, interesting exhibits.
- Cons:It's a long ways from anywhere.
- In a nutshell:Makes for a nice break in the routine of driving.
The resident geese rule the roost at two ponds on the premises. Other animals include Texas longhorn cattle, chickens... more travel advice
Take the path through the gardens to some of the other buildings - a blacksmith shop, poultry and riding sheds, and a... more travel advice
basstbn's Related Pages
Pipe Spring National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pipe Springs National Monument"
- "Definitely Off of the Beaten Track"
- "Basaic Pipe Spring National Monument Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pipe Spring National Monument
- Transportation in Pipe Spring National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pipe Spring National Monument
- 7 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Pipe Spring National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pipe Spring National Monument
Photos in Pipe Spring National MonumentSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues