"Mountain View, Arkansas" Mountain View by basstbn
Mountain View Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 67 photos
One of the billboards in Mountain View bills itself as the Folk Music Capitol of the World. Quite a tall claim, eh? True or not - it is difficult to imagine a town or city anywhere in the world where a higher percentage of its citizens participate in music-making. And to be fair, there is a lot of art in this town, too.
Mountain View is hard to find, and harder to get to, but it is a gem worth discovering! Nancy and I spent three wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable days in this little Ozark town, and I am ready to go back.
In spite of its draw as a tourist destination, the town has largely maintained its local identity. Stores close their doors at 5 or 5:30 pm because the shop owners are more concerned about their families (and making music, perhaps) than a few extra dollars from the tourist trade. I doubt there is a person in town who would want Mountain View to become another Branson, Missouri.
One of the draws of Mountain View, Arkansas, is the Ozark Mountain range in which it is located. Even though this area does not feature the most rugged terrain in the Ozarks, there are a lot of scenic highways and hiking paths to enjoy, as well as streams and rivers to float.
- Pros:Great mountain music, art, food, people
- Cons:Not much open on Sundays (even restaurants)
- In a nutshell:Wonderful introduction to Ozark culture, a relaxing vacation!
This tip is added in honor of my daughter Allison, a fifth grade teacher whom I love and respect deeply. (All I could... more travel advice
Large old gray house on the square also plays host to porch musicians on its porch. There's an attached ice cream and... more travel advice
Written Jun 20, 2004
Ozark Folk Center #1
Written Jan 17, 2005
Ozark Folk Center #2
basstbn's Related Pages
Mountain View Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mountain View, Arkansas"
- "susie margaret and mountain view, arkansas, USA"
- "Create Mountain Music"
- "Natural Springs and Clear Water Pools"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mountain View
- Hotels in Mountain View
- Transportation in Mountain View
- Nightlife in Mountain View
- Restaurants in Mountain View
- Shopping in Mountain View
- Warnings and Dangers in Mountain View
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mountain View
- 23 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Mountain View?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mountain View
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues