"Calico Rock, Arkansas" Calico Rock by basstbn
Calico Rock Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 2 photos
Calico Rock was not a destination for us as we traveled on Arkansas Hwy 5 from south to north. It was just another town to slow down for. However, as we crossed the bridge on the Upper White River, I saw that it was not only colorfully named, but sat in a picturesque setting. So we stopped long enough to look around.
Calico Rock is said to have been named by an early settler who thought the cliffs resembled the calico cloth ladies used to make dresses. This area's main draw is the excellent trout fishing in the Upper White River and area streams.
It's a typical Ozark small-town main street, but that in itself makes it interesting. There's the local cafe - surprisingly named "Don Quixote's", a post office, a hardware/general store type of place, etc. Like most of the towns in the region there is a flea market/craft store/art dealer. And I think I remember seeing an ice cream palace - reason enough to stop in Calico Rock!!
- Pros:Good fishing; "quaint" setting.
- Cons:Don't know if there would be much to do for non-fisherman.
- In a nutshell:Not there long enough to comment.
basstbn's Related Pages
Calico Rock Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calico Rock
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Calico Rock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calico Rock
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues