"Manarola - La Cinque Terre" Manarola by basstbn

Manarola Travel Guide: 185 reviews and 518 photos

Village Tottering(?) on a Cliff

Actually the village of Manarola is probably not tottering at all, but very secure. After all, it has been perched up there for centuries, by most accounts settled by inhabitants of a Roman settlement in the vicinity. But viewing Manarola for the first time, I had to wonder how all those multi-storied old buildings could even have been built in the first place, let alone sit up there for so many generations.

I hope my readers will pardon me if I should happen to over use the terms amazing or spectacular when writing of this and other villages of Cinque Terre.

The Town Center

We found Manarola to be one of "calmer," less crowded and touristic of the Cinque Terre villages. As you can see from the accompanying photo, the streets were not as crowded as Vernazza, Riomaggiore, and Monterosso, making Manarola a good place for easy stroll and for watching Italian village life unfold at a leisurely pace.

A Favorite Photo

One of my favorite photos from Cinque Terre, this colorful pastiche of apartment buildings, balconies and laundry hanging in the sun.

• Last visit to Manarola: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2011

Comments

basstbn

“"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift”

Badges & Stats in Manarola

Have you been to Manarola?

Latest Activity in Manarola