"Fujian - out of the tourism boom" Fujian Sheng by claude-andre
Fujian Sheng Travel Guide: 423 reviews and 1,560 photos
Fujian is a little province on the Sout-East coast, just in front of Taiwan. It is not very touristed, except for Xiamen, Quanzhou, Gulangyu, Wuyshan and in some extend Hongkeng. Most of the other part of the province can be considered as out of the beaten path.
The region is montaneous, I would prefer to say hilly. It is the land of Oolang tea (Anxi), of Muslims minorities (Chongwu) and of some sacred mountains (Wuyishan, Liancheng, eg).
In the history of China, Fujian was important culturally: eg, Quanzhou was the main harbour of the maritime silk road.
Mandarin is not spoken by old people but the young ones know it and understand it well. Out of the main towns don't expect to find English speaking people.
Transportation is good and accomodations are easy to find. On the coast, seafood is delicious.
To get some more ideas of the province have a look at my Fujian pages.
Guidebooks are not very informative about the province. So I give 2 websites that can help you in planning your travel:
Fujian is Hakka homeland. Hakkas are Han who originated from Northern China. They were driven out by Mongolian tribes and established in Fujian. They were late emigrates and did not find good locations. They stayed in hilly regions and had to protect themselves from animals and enemies.
Their housers have no windows and only one door.
Quanzhou was an important harbour in the past. Many people decided to stay there to make business. You find relics from many religions: islam, christianism, hinduism, taoism, judaism, etc..
Even if these relics are not spectacular, you can feel the ambiance of the past.
- Pros:Why allways go to Xian, Guilin and other touristed places
- Cons:Nobody will understand why you travelled Fujian
claude-andre's Related Pages
Fujian Sheng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ancient Bridges of Fujian Province"
- "homeland of my grandpa"
- "West Fujian-South Fujian"
- "Fujian - out of the tourism boom"
- "Fujian Tulou"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fujian Sheng
- Hotels in Fujian Sheng
- Transportation in Fujian Sheng
- Nightlife in Fujian Sheng
- Restaurants in Fujian Sheng
- Shopping in Fujian Sheng
- Warnings and Dangers in Fujian Sheng
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fujian Sheng
- 55 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Fujian Sheng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fujian Sheng
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quanzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 30 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos
- Hongkeng Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Lianfeng Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Xiamen Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos
- Chishui Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Mongolia Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
- Gulangyu Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Tingzhou Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
- Ganzhou Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos