"Tirana" Tirana by tim07

Tirana Travel Guide: 354 reviews and 948 photos

The most common response I got when telling people I was visiting Albania was "Why?"

The reason I went was that I'd always had a desire to visit, ever since I first heard Radio Tirana on my shortwave radio in the 1980's. The country had a mystery to it then, as it still does today.

I finally got to spend a weekend in Tirana & I'm glad that I did. As regards to tourism the city isn't as fully geared up to tourists as most other European capital cities are. There is also no denying that the cities infrastructure is in need of improvement.

Despite, or because of this, I fully enjoyed my brief visit to Tirana. There was enough to do & see there to occupy a couple of days. The other thing that made it enjoyable was the friendly & welcoming people. I got the impression that they were proud people who were delighted that you had taken the time & effort to visit their country.

Albania is still a place relatively undiscovered by tourists & I'd advise you to visit soon for a different but enjoyable experience.

• Last visit to Tirana: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 30, 2008

• Bez_Kosovo's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Hi Tim, that is not common any more in Albania. Turists can freely enter Albania and do not need to pay any fee or tax at the entrance of the country. Cheers, Bez

• planxty's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Hello Tim, very useful page on Tirana here. I really want to visit Albania one day. fergy.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Hello, Tim! It's a great page about that mysterious (to me) destination... Thanx!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Tim, fantastic little page with helpful tips about Tirana. Albania is still on my must-visit list. Keep up the good work. :-)

Badges & Stats in Tirana