"Mdina" Mdina by tim07
Mdina Travel Guide: 280 reviews and 842 photos
Mdina is situated on a high ridge some 150 metres (500 ft) above sea level. I visited for a few hours by local bus from Valletta. The magnificent beauty of the city could be seen as you approached from many miles away.
After the Arabs invaded Malta in AD 870 the city's perimeter walls were extended. Then in 1090 Roger the Norman Count of Sicily conquered Malta & decreed a cathedral would be built here, to make the city fit for Christians. Over the following centuries the city prospered, it was the seat of power for the religious, military & civil authorities. For many years it has been known as the 'Silent City' due to it being traffic free. Nowadays though residents with permits may drive cars inside the city walls.
Today the city has to be one of the best examples of a walled medieval city in the world. On entering through the Main Gate you enter a world of narrow shaded streets, secluded squares, historic churches & buildings. It was such a delightful place to explore, even though there were many other tourists, it felt so peaceful. Mdina is a must visit on any trip to Malta.
Exploring Mdina's streets you come across beautiful old buildings & secluded squares. The streets are tall and narrow,... more travel advice
There is documentation of a cathedral on this site dating back to the 12th century. In January 1693 the old cathedral... more travel advice
tim07's Related Pages
Mdina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Malta's former capital"
- "Mdina the Citta’ Notabile"
- "The Silent City"
- "Mdina - The silent city of Malta"
- "MDINA - Citta Notabile"
- "Mdina, Old Capital of Malta"
- "The not so Silent City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mdina
- Hotels in Mdina
- Transportation in Mdina
- Nightlife in Mdina
- Restaurants in Mdina
- Shopping in Mdina
- Warnings and Dangers in Mdina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mdina
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Mdina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mdina
Photos in MdinaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Bucharest Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 27 reviews, 87 photos
- Gibraltar Intro, 23 reviews, 84 photos
- Yerevan Intro, 25 reviews, 77 photos
- Bali Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos
- London Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos
- Sofia Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Rome Intro, 19 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kovalam Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 19 reviews, 56 photos
Latest Mdina hotel reviews
- The Xara Palace
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013